Air Flow Testing (Part F)
Air Flow Testing came into force in 1st October 2010 as part of changes to Approved Document F.
Please watch our services video
Air flow testing is is required on the following scenarios regarding dwellings.
Background ventilators and intermittent fans (including cooker hoods)
Continuous mechanical ventilation systems
Continuous mechanical extract (MEV)
Continuous mechanical supply and extract with heat recovery (MVHR)
Single room heat recovery ventilator (SRHRV) – Decentralised MVHR
Provision of information
The following is the minimum amount of information required by the Building Regulations, that should be handed over to the end user immediately after the ventilation system has been installed, tested and commissioned, as appropriate to the system type.
Operation and maintenance manual
The operation and maintenance manual should contain specific instructions for the end user on how and when to use the ventilation system, including information on the intended use of available fan settings. Information should also be provided to suggest when the system components should be cleaned and maintained.
The following information should be provided where relevant:
- A design statement that sets out the key characteristics of the system provided along with specific, non-technical information on how and when the system should be used.
- The product manufacturer’s contact details
- Guidance on the use of air inlets for background ventilation
- Instructions on how cleaning and maintenance should be carried out, including filter replacement
- Instructions on how to clean extract ducting if there are no filters on extract terminals
- Guidance on recalibration or checking of sensors and their location
The operation and maintenance manual should also contain relevant manufacturer’s literature supplied with the system or with individual components of the system, including component specifications, installation guidance, operating instructions, maintenance schedules, guarantees, registration cards, spares, list etc.
Please contact us if you have any questions regarding Air Flow Testing.
Please click our maps for SAP Calculations/SAP Ratings in your area.